PILGRIM'S PROGRESS

3.9.10 , Posted by Geoff Thorne at 16:06

So, here it is.


I took some time off to see at least one of the summer films that I haven't been able to due to work. That's right. I haven't seen INCEPTION or SALT or PREDATORS or THE EXPENDABLES or THE AMERICAN or really anything and I had had it.


So today was INCEPTION day except, due to the Friday-ness of the day, the screening times changed and  I was not able to blow another hour waiting around for the revised showtime. What to do, what to do?


Well, SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD was playing and, though I was lukewarm about the source material (nothing wrong with it; it just didn't blow me away as it did so many others) I figured, "What the hell. I'm seeing SOMETHING today, damn it."


I'm not going to spoil it for you but this was, without exaggeration, an AWESOME film. It had everything and it also managed to be innovative and fresh. There were no clunks, no missed opportunities and, best of all in a romantic comedy, it had depth and wit and was actually about something.


I think John Hughes' ghost is smiling down on this film which should be no surprise since folks are staying away from it in droves. Mr. Hughes often got that treatment from his contemporaries and yet, now, he's recognized for the genius he was.  It's a shame to see SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD get similar short shrift but what can you do? People are often stupid.


So consider this a little reminder: go see this film in a theatre while there's still time. It should be seen on a big screen and, unlike so many so-called "blockbusters"the boys and girls in marketing shove down our throats, this one is actually worth the price of admission.


Do as I tell you because, later, when people are talking about how awesome this film was, when young people, now in their late 30s and into their 40s are saying how it was a pivotal moment at the end of their adolescence (or even the middle) you will all nod and pretend that you were there too.


But you weren't. As of this writing, most of you weren't.


So save yourself the secret shame of lying about a shared experience in a few years and actually have the experience now.


Go. Do it. Do it now. The poster looks like this:




You won't be sorry.

Currently have 0 comments: